The following should be read as it applies to mundane life as well as the metaphysical workings of reality and the universe.
This article is intended to give you a direction in which to look, an idea, a possibility, a schema, heuristic, lens, perspective, or context that can help you accelerate the rate at which you learn and adapt. It is not my intention to tell you how these things are useful specifically, rather, it is to open your mind to the possibility of vast and deep comprehension. Once you see the whole picture, the usefulness of having seen it will be apparent.
We become masterful by learning how things work, and then adapting to a condition as it is.
In order to progress as an entity moving towards freedom and power, you start and finish by seeing every facet of the condition in which you actually exist. From a position of ‘seeing’ we are greatly empowered to manipulate and be in relationship to all that constitutes ‘life’. Without having clearly seen an event, you are unable to relate to it. Without an appropriate relationship to the event, one cannot accomplish that which they authentically desire.
Once there is a commitment to mastery, truth, and freedom, the individual is on a mission. This mission is to first understand what appears, and then position himself in relationship to that appearance so the intended results may occur.
When we keep our attention riveted to the surface of phenomena, concerned only with managing them in relationship to our agenda, we miss the foundational principles that give rise to the event in the first place. In doing so, we lose touch with what is most true of any given relationship or event.
It is suggested here that this process of maturation, empowerment, and transcendence can be expedited by learning to see and comprehend things more deeply, effectively, and totally. And that we can accomplish this catalysis of development by looking for the underlying “way of things”. By this I mean the certain qualities, patterns, principles, rules, and truths that constitute and determine all phenomena.
This is different from the common approach to development, which seeks to gather disparate nodes of useful information while neglecting to comprehend the interconnected and holistic nature of reality.
Learning the way of things allows us to be in appropriate relationship to all endeavors, from socializing to transcending mind itself.
By getting in touch with the event of Being in this way, we begin to understand how it works, and because we are a part of it, we also understand how we work. When understanding is the state out of which we operate, the results of our actions tend to be more appropriate to the given situation.
The following list of concepts illustrate some of the ways that existence tends to appear. They are offered as inspiration for your own discovery of the way of things.
Do not take any of these too seriously. Although, if grasped deeply, the following concepts will allow for a comprehensive understanding of many fields and phenomena.
In this article it is suggested that you begin to look for, and consider the existence of:
1) Dynamics: The relationships between fundamental parts within an event.
2) Principles: The underlying rules or laws that precipitate form as it is.
3) Systems: Sets in which each piece affects the others.
4) Survival: Every experience is a means to survive.
5) Self: ‘Life’ tends to revolve around a central reference.
6) Cycles: Returning to the beginning .
7) Hierarchies: Ordered sets of things.
This facet of phenomenal existence shows up whenever two things relate to one another. Because reality is inherently non-dual, there is, in truth, not ‘two things’, but one Reality dancing within itself as the appearance of two things. This dance is life, survival, and reality.
Definitions of Dynamics:
- The forces or properties which stimulate growth, development, or change within a system or process.
- The dynamics of changing social relations
- The branch of mechanics concerned with the motion of bodies under the action of forces.
- The branch of any science in which forces or changes are considered.
- The varying levels of the volume of sound in different parts of a musical performance.
Examples of Dynamics:
- In partner dancing, one person’s movement is in relationship with the other. One person’s movement affects the other’s. A chain of cause and effect between the two parties constitutes the dance itself. This interplay, though simple, is fundamental to all phenomena.
- When we walk, our body is in relationship to the ground. A change in the ground dictates a change in the body.
- Planets in orbit around one another display a dynamic. If one planet were to suddenly lose mass, the orbit of the other would change.
- In romantic relationships, partners are always affected by each other. When one is happy, the other is in relationship to this. When the state changes to anger, that is what the partner will relate to.
- One fundamental particle is in a dynamic relationship with all other fundamental particles. If an atom in the Andromeda galaxy were to move an inch away from an atom in your body, its gravitational effect on your body cell would decrease.
Here we find the closest thing to relative truth, as these are what exist prior to form itself. They are the rules out of which the game is made; The limitations that collapse infinity into something. They way that life appears is due to the existence of the principles of being.
Definitions of Principle
- A fundamental truth or proposition that serves as the foundation for a system of belief or behavior or for a chain of reasoning.
- A rule or belief governing one’s personal behavior
- A general scientific theorem or law that has numerous special applications across a wide field.
- A natural law forming the basis for the construction or working of a machine.
- A fundamental source or basis of something.
- A fundamental quality or attribute determining the nature of something; an essence.
Examples of Principle
- Gravity is a principle. It is a rule by which the universe plays. Its influence is seen in the falling apple and the shape of the body.
- Honesty is a principle of communication. It is a rule by which our communications may or may not be shaped. Its influence is seen in our personal power, relationship qualities, effectiveness of communication, and sense of integrity.
- Life is dictated by the survival principle. It is the rule that dictates the actions and perceptions of living things. Its influence can be seen in every action taken by an entity.
A system is essentially a set of dynamic relations where change in one part affects a change in all the others. The universe is a system — each piece affecting all others.
Definitions of System
- A set of things working together as parts of a mechanism or an interconnecting network.
- A set of organs in the body with a common structure or function.
- The human or animal body as a whole.
- A group of related hardware units or programs or both, especially when dedicated to a single application.
- A group of celestial objects connected by their mutual attractive forces, especially moving in orbits about a center.
- A set of principles or procedures according to which something is done; an organized scheme or method.
- The prevailing political or social order, especially when regarded as oppressive and intransigent.
Examples of System
- Ecosystems in nature
- The internal self system (emotions, thoughts)
- The human mind
- Sociopolitical systems
Survival is the act of persisting as “something”. Survival is found any time something actively avoids its own dissolution. This is synonymous with life and is the principle out of which all life arises and operates. Every emotion and thought we have is as prescribed by survival.
Definitions of survival
- Something actively persisting as itself despite the pull towards dissolution
- The state or fact of continuing to live or exist, typically in spite of an accident, ordeal, or difficult circumstances.
- An object or practice that has continued to exist from an earlier time.
Examples of Survival
- You donate to charity because it is the type of person you are. If you don’t donate you don’t survive as that kind of person
- You laugh at a joke to survive a relationship.
- You text a person to give them the impression of you as whatever you need to be.
Self is that which survives. It is the thing that seeks to persist by manipulating its environment. You exist as a self and all of your perceptions are related to the self. The self principle exists in both an amoeba and a person, both seeking to be themselves forever.
Definitions of Self
- A person’s essential being that distinguishes them from others, especially considered as the object of introspection or reflexive action.
- A person’s particular nature or personality; the qualities that make a person individual or unique.
- A specific reference point that claims to be the source of attention.
Examples of Self
- Nations are mega selves.
- Any body can be considered a self.
Nature seems to arise in cyclical patterns. All things return to where they began.
Definitions of Cycles
- A series of events that are regularly repeated in the same order.
- A complete set or series.
Examples of Cycles
- Thoughts and emotions tend to arise in cycles.
- Narratives (life stories)
- Life and death
- Solar systems
There is an order to things;Going from small to large, simple to complex, unconscious to conscious, weak to powerful, bad to good, fundamental to emergent.
Definitions of Hierarchies
- A system or organization in which people or groups are ranked one above the other according to status or authority.
- An arrangement of items (objects, names, values, categories, etc.) in which the items are represented as being “above”, “below”, or “at the same level as” one another
Examples of Hierarchies
- Dominance hierarchies among animals
- Hierarchical organization within groups (governments)
- Within mathematics
The intention here is to show you that there is an order to things. Life, existence, the universe ,whatever the name, arises with great consistency.
It is also to encourage you to dive into life, into your experience, and grasp what is really going on.
How does this work? Why do things tend to be this or that way?
None of the aforementioned distinctions are of any use to you if they remain conceptual. This way of interpreting, thinking, and perceiving is only useful if you experience it — if you see it.
Your degree of grace, skillfulness, and mastery in any domain, and in any way, depends on you relating to the truth of the event — as opposed to a created concept or pure ignorance.
This article is pointing to the fact that this truth can be contacted and understood intentionally, and that doing so is worth your while.
It results in freedom and power.
So, How is this done?
- Contemplate everything!
Every single experience is worthy of thorough questioning and investigation. By opening up phenomena with your attention, you begin to see the inner workings that allow it to be what it is. These inner workings reveal the fundamental way of things.
Some questions will yield deeper and more widely beneficial insight. Looking into your self for example will help you get in touch with some of the most important features and facets of experience.
Take on questioning as a continuous practice. Allow it to be always present in the background. Set aside time each day to contemplate something.
Questioning anything deeply enough brings you in contact with the source of everything. Contemplating the nature of your self will reveal and make known the mechanisms of survival, the organizing principles of perception, the true nature of time and space, the dynamics of relationship, and the nature of language itself, to name a few.
- Pay closer attention
All of life is here now. Everything you can ever know about your own existence is present in the very place you are now. All you need to do is begin to pay closer attention. Know that the way is already the way — simply become conscious.
- Surrender into the way
Give up your need to control, create, and distort being to fit with your expectations and needs. Allow it to be as it is. See, hear, and feel whatever is actually occurring. Once your body-mind starts to realize that this surrender is the way to greater mastery and grace, it will begin to do it on its own. The initial phases of surrender may be uncomfortable. Do it anyway —the result is newfound comfort.
By doing research on a vast array of topics you will begin to see the “way of things”. All information is organized by the same essential rules. Expose your mind to many perspectives in order to become mature in relationship to all things.
Principles allow for dynamics.
Dynamics allow for systems.
Systems allow for survival.
Survival allows for self.
Self exists in hierarchy, and its functioning is cyclical.
This is the way of things.